I live in a town where I can literally walk 10 minutes from my apartment to the path station & end up in New York City. This weekend I met up with a friend of mine & we checked out the exhibits at the Guggenheim Museum. If you haven’t already definitely check out Carrie Mae Weems: Three Decades of Photography and Video. It is an incredible exhibit with insightful photography & beautifully written transcriptions.
After the exhibit we jumped on the 6 downtown towards Brooklyn, made a transfer & stopped to get dinner at this really great dive bar in Williamsburg. (I’ll have to go back again soon)
Over all it was an excellent weekend full of art, friends, food & the best part, sleeping in.
We all experience inspirational droughts – some longer than others & we all have different ways of re-discovering our “Inspiration Oasis.” With that being said, my dry-spell has been ongoing these past few weeks & I’ve come across this topic on a few of my favorite blogs. I figured it would be a great way to get myself out of this funk.
- Art Art on the walls, art on the streets. Art everywhere & anywhere. I love going to museums & art shows around the city. It’s amazing to me how someone else’s perspective & self-expression can have such a profound impact on me
- Basics & oversized tops I will forever go straight to the plain t-shirt rack & oversized sweaters & be oblivious to all the other pretty items in the clothing store. Its an issue
- My Sunday night line-up I am in my happy place when I have a pint of my favorite Ben & Jerry’s ice cream (chocolate therapy) & my favorite yellow blanket all while watching Shameless, Girls, House of Lies. I’m thinking of starting Game of Thrones soon. Browsing Netflix randomly is also fun
- Natural light & shadows I’ve learned to appreciate both whenever I come across them in a room
- All things Nike
- Working out on the hamster wheel Working out is a particular release for me. I also enjoy any full body work-out classes & Vinyasa flow yoga. Namaste
- Really hot showers I mean like STEAMING HOT SHOWERS. So therapeutic to me
- White roses & Strelitzias I like to think that both of these very different flowers represent the facets of my personality
- Dresses There’s something about waking up in the morning & being able to throw on a dress & just walk out the door
- Spontaneous adventures/traveling I will be doing much more of this; I’ve always wanted to travel but not everyone I know has that privilege/accessibility. Traveling alone will be something new for me & open a pathway to my creativity & inspiration. With that said, Cali & Mexico are coming up & words cannot express my excitement
- Hiking Being outside is the best
- Neutrals I find those shades to be very calming & elegant too. I love them in home decor, fashion, & nature
It’s my opinion that nothing completes an outfit quite like the right
pair of shoes & the perfect shade of lips, & this winter I’m all
about violet lips!
My style is very basic & I’m all about comfort. I tend to be attracted to neutral shades when it comes to clothing, so when I need a pop of color I turn to my lipstick collection.
Everyone is at different points in their lives & have different priorities. With that said, splurging on make-up is not on the top of my necessity list. But you don’t have to break the bank or skip out on happy hour with your friends to look your best. So check out the links I’ve posted below for budget friendly shades of violet lipstick.
So what are you waiting for? Go add some color to your lips.
If you know me, you know that I’m pretty good at procrastinating. So when my sister asked me what I got our baby cousin for her first birthday the day before the party, I obviously hadn’t even thought about it. So I did what I do best. After work I ran around the city to buy a few things to make her a personal unique present.
I started out at the craft store. There I bought a multi purpose clear adhesive, gold bobby pins, hair clips as well as an assortment of buttons.
A pair of wire snips were a must for this project & I learned that a tooth-pick made things a lot easier too.
The first thing I did was take a button & clipped the back of it off with the wire snips.
Next I laid out my pin & button & with a tooth-pick I took some of the adhesive & dabbed it on the back of the button & bobby pin.
Finally I took the bobby pin & stuck it to the back of the button. I held both the pin & button together & let them dry for a few minutes before laying them down to rest & dry over night.
This project was so much fun! The look on my aunts face was priceless when she opened the present I made for her baby girl.
The best part about doing something like this is that you can use whatever items come your way. The possibilities are endless.
Follow Me on Instagram: @therealjaxxieee
A few months ago I was given a very peculiar gift from my boyfriend’s father. It was a wooden piece with stakes coming out of it & wired with old coat hangers in the middle. He said when he found it he knew I could do something with it which made me feel very inspired. I started playing around with some ideas like jewelry display, sunglasses storage, key holder, but none of those ideas really made sense for this piece. Then, finally, it hit us both almost simultaneously: MUG HOLDER.
Since the piece was already assembled the only things we had to add were mounting rings on the back.
The next step was to go to my local hardware store & pick out a sample size paint color, I went with ultra violet, a gold metallic spray can, masking tape (not pictured, optional) & a nice 1 1/2” paint brush.
I then spray painted the wired coat hangers. Since I am refinishing the piece I didn’t need to use masking tape around the wood to protect it from the gold.
However, if you want to keep the natural wood surface or the original surface of any found object you wish to make unique, I’d suggest using the masking tape.
After several minutes the gold spray paint dried & I began painting the piece.
I used a good quality paint brush for a nicer finish.
I’m enjoying my newly refinished Mug Holder. It really ties my apartment together. It’s absolutely amazing how a pop of any color can do that to your home. Next time you come across an odd object I hope I have inspired you to look beyond it and make something beautiful with it.
To check out the finished result check out my Instagram account: @therealjaxxieee
Don’t like reading? Hagen Reiling shows us another way to enjoy Ernest Hemingway’s classic “The Old Man & the Sea”
New York Shitty <3
Junk Yard Dog
An original by yours truly & I sold it at my very First Art show a few weeks ago. It was such an amazing feeling to see how someone was so inspired by my work. The lady told me that she just rescued a dog and that she is going to hang it in her room <3 It put the biggest smile on my face